Website Ontario Power Generation Inc.
Status: Regular Fulltime
Education Level: University Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering; P.Eng
Location: Niagara Falls, ON
Travel: Yes- 25%
Deadline to Apply: December 6, 2020
BE THE GENERATION to challenge and change.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about us that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship. We operate a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass and solar, and offer challenging and unique work opportunities. BE THE GENERATION to power tomorrow.
Ontario Power Generation is looking for a dynamic, consultative & results driven professional to join our team in the role of Electrical and Protection & Control Engineer/Specialist, located in Niagara Falls, ON.
Reporting to our Niagara Region Station Engineering group, the Electrical and Protection & Control Engineer/Specialist will provide electrical engineering technical support for the continuous safe and efficient operation of OPG’s generating stations.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to Ontario Power Generation’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to OPG plant staff and others (both internal and external) involved in projects, assessments and maintenance.
- Identify and conduct the engineering and financial evaluation of alternatives and prepare recommendations on repair, replace, upgrade or modification procedures.
- Design electrical and Protections and Controls (P&C) equipment and systems to meet client performance expectations and comply with safety and engineering standards. Provide authorized engineering approvals in accordance with applicable legislation.
- Manage to successful completion assigned multiple, short and long-term projects from concept to in-service, which are related to rehabilitation, replacement or upgrade of electrical and P&C equipment and systems.
- Develop and issue procedures, directives, standards and bulletins relating to electrical maintenance work. Pursue and follow-up implementation and adherence.
- Conduct the preparation of inspection and maintenance procedures and standards.
- Conduct field inspections to observe, investigate, evaluate and report on plant conditions. Respond to emergency or short notice situations and provide timely advice/solutions.
- Design, develop, test and modify tools or other devices to improve methods, procedures and productivity.
- Conduct the preparation of technical specifications for new and replacement equipment.
- Conduct engineering studies, assessments and investigations of general, unusual problems or developments of an electrical nature relative to hydroelectric facilities.
- Participate in technical and material committees as required.
- Deal with suppliers, manufacturers, labour representatives and government agencies on technical, commercial and regulatory issues.
- Work in partnership with other departments and divisions to ensure timely and effective product delivery.
- Maintain a continuous surveillance of developments in the hydroelectric industry to ensure that relevant technologies, procedures and methods to ensure continuous improvement of the business.
- Perform all work assignments with a commitment to integrity, upholding OPG’s values and behaviors including Health & Safety, and protection of the environment.
- University Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (with preferred Computer Science, Management Information Technology Systems training and experience)
- P. Eng – Licensed Engineer with the PEO, or eligible to be licensed in the Province of Ontario
- Minimum of 8+ years of relevant electrical engineering experience with specific focus on Management Information Technology Systems / Computer Science;
- Programming and Configuration Experience:
- Hands on experience programming and configuring SCADA software packages, PLC platforms, Microsoft Operating Systems, OPC, SQL, OLE clients and servers along with communication protocols (DNP3, Harris, Modbus, Modbus+)
- Prior experience supporting and developing process automation control applications and systems. Preferable experience in system design that supports utility services or other similar environments; including structured programming and enterprise administration
- Electrical Design and Procurement Experience:
- Design, construction, start-up of major electrical facilities; with a preference to expertise on electrical equipment/systems associated with hydroelectric and power distribution facilities
- Working with electrical power systems and P&C engineering design, modification or replacement of power distribution systems, major electrical equipment, hydroelectric plant protection, control and automation including preparation of reports, drawings, settings and commissioning.
- Working with the procurement of engineering services and materials including the creation of design, design-build, design-bid-build and material specifications.
- Electrical Equipment and Operations Experience:
- Working with Electrical Power System Equipment including condition assessments, testing requirements and generation, transmission and distribution systems.
- Working with the operation of the Ontario Electricity Markets including the regulatory requirements of the Transmission Operator and the System Operator.
- Working with the procurement of engineering services and materials including the creation of design-build, design-bid-build and material specifications.
- Strong verbal and written communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills;
- Valid class G driving license in good standing.
- Must be willingness to travel approximately 25% of time;
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values, and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, Ontario Power Generation (OPG) offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario's success.
At OPG our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province
If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
Our promise to you
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop in our diverse lines of business.
- Provide spaces for innovative thinking and solutions,
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- We support employment equity and diversity.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., December 6, 2020. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require technical support in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com