Website The University of Toronto
Date Posted: 02/12/2021
Req ID: 2513
Faculty/Division: UofT Mississauga
Department: Budget, Planning & Finance
Campus: University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM)
Established in 1967, the University of Toronto Mississauga is the second-largest division of U of T (Canada’s largest university), numbering 14,000 undergraduate students, 682 graduate students, over 2,500 full- and part-time employees (including 857 permanent faculty and staff) as well as over 54,000 alumni.
The campus is situated on 225 acres of protected greenbelt along the Credit River, 33 kilometres west of the university’s St. Georgecampus in Toronto.
U of T Mississauga has 17 distinct academic departments, 156 programs and 92 areas of study, and includes the Institute for Management & Innovation and Centre for South Asian Civilizations. The Mississauga Academy of Medicine is located on campus in the Terrence Donnelly Health Sciences Complex.
As a Financial Officer, you will be joining a team of Finance experts at Budget, Planning and Finance to provide the U of T Mississauga community with assistance and information on all aspects of finance, budgeting, financial systems and accounting. The U of T Mississauga community will trust you to be their true partner in all things Finance.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Advising staff on accounting practices and University financial policies and procedures
- Forecasting and planning financial activities incorporating budgets with multiple sources of revenue and/or recoveries
- Planning and administering expenditures for operating budget
- Monitoring department budget to ensure expenditures remain within budgeted allocations
- Monitoring, recording, reconciling and/or reporting on fundingaccounts for grants and contracts
- Recording detailed transactions for many accounts including payroll
- Identifying and resolving individual financial discrepancies
- Analyzing complex statistical reports and/or financial information for management decision-making
- University degree in commerce, business or a related field with a specialization in accounting or acceptable combination of equivalent experience. Completion of courses in the following subjects: advanced management accounting, advanced financial accounting, statistics, business finance, Canadian income taxation, advanced auditing and internal controls.
- Minimum four (4) years of work experiencein an accounting position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of advanced management accounting, advanced financial accounting, statistics, business finance, Canadian income taxation, advanced auditing and internal controls.
- Experience in complex budgeting and financial analysis, financial reporting including experience in preparing financial statements, forecasting, developing long-range plans and profitability/cost-benefit analysis. Experience in reconciling financial information, generating financial reports from a financial system and process improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to apply accounting and budgeting knowledge to effectively resolve financial issues, customer service issues, improve processes, analyze financial information and identify pertinent issues, and ability to communicate financial information to individuals with little financial experience.
- Demonstrated ability to design financial reports and present information which clearly conveys a solid understanding ofaccruals, accounts payable, reconciliation of accounts, transfers, variance analysis, overhead allocation, budgeting, forecasting fixed and variable costs, internal recoveries, statistical analysis, internal controls, audit procedures, trails, testing results, governance, HST, financing and cash flows.
- Experience in preparing memorandums, policies and process documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately analyze financial information (budget and actual).
- Ability to determine financial impact of both financial and non-financial information.
- Experience implementing financial implications of agreements/contracts and interpreting and applying policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial systems.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet applications and word processing software and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent ability to prioritize and bring the appropriate sense of urgency to situations.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement, tact and initiative.
- Ability to work well with others and independently.
- Confidentiality is mandatory.
- Enrolment in a professional accounting designation program considered an asset.
- Audit experience would be an asset.
- Experience with PowerBI would be an asset
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
- Team player
Closing Date: 02/25/2021, 11:59PM EDT
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 13 — $74,041 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $94,687. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Finance/Budget/Planning/Audit
Recruiter: Saima Ladha