Website Ontario Power Generation Inc.
Status: Contract (13-months)
Education Level: University Degree in Biology Sciences, Engineering, Environmental Science
Location(s): Timmins, ON
Travel: Yes- 25%
Deadline to Apply: February 22, 2021
BE THE GENERATION to challenge and change.
At Ontario Power Generation (OPG), our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about us that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship. We operate a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass and solar, and offer challenging and unique work opportunities. BE THE GENERATION to power tomorrow.
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for dedicated and results driven professionals to join our team in the role of Site Environmental Advisor at our Timmins location.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Environmental Operations Support, the Site Environmental Advisor role offers a unique opportunity to provide strategic environmental direction. This role is responsible for delivering technical and consultative services on environmental related matters to Renewable Generation facilities. We are seeking an environmental practitioner with applied knowledge in environmental managed systems and programs including but not limited to Spill Management, Waste Management, Contaminated Lands, Biodiversity, Environmental Compliance Approvals, Permits and Emission Management.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to Ontario Power Generation’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
- Develop, maintain, implement, monitor, and improve performance of environmental managed systems and programs including but not limited to Spill Management, Waste Management, Contaminated Lands, Biodiversity, Environmental Compliance Approvals, Permits and Emission Management.
- Provide expertise and support to the Generating Units and Functions in managing OPG’s environmental performance; including interpretation and advice on legislation and policies, identifying and correcting environmental performance issues, assessing and reporting on environmental compliance and performance.
- Liaise and collaborate with local regulatory agencies (e.g. MECP, MNRF, DFO) to obtain and influence conditions of routine permits and approvals, regulations, and licenses.
- Provide support for OPG’s Environmental Regulatory Deliverables and Commitments important to Project Schedule.
- Participate with other project team members, including consultants, in the preparation and implementation of project execution plans.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in the field of specialty and environmental legislation.
- 4-year university degree, Biology Sciences, Engineering or Environmental Science
- Experience with environmental assessments, field work and overseeing management of environmental studies;
- Experience with project management and coordination of environmental monitoring sampling program;
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to develop scope of works and execution strategies; and environmental impacts associated with the industry and related projects;
- Strong verbal communication skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively across the company and externally at all levels;
- Superior writing skills;
- Strong analytical, research and problem solving skills, and attention to detail;
- Experience working for or with a public regulatory body is an asset;
- Strong interpersonal skills as working within a team structure is an essential part of the position;
- Knowledge of Renewable Generation Systems, considered an asset;
- Willing to travel up to 25% of the time;
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, OPG offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario's success.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province
If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop in our diverse lines of business.
- Provide spaces for innovative thinking and solutions, such as Launchpad or X-Lab.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- We support employment equity and diversity.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by February 22, 2021 at 11:59 PM E.S.T. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com